Pancake Recipe Easy – Pancakes, without a doubt, is one of the best kinds of food you could wake up to in the morning. It has been around for more than 30,000 years, researchers found pancakes in the stomach of Otzi the iceman human remains dating as far back as 5,300 years. Ancient Greece and Rome made pancakes from wheat, olive oil, honey, and curdled honey. Then maybe flavored with spices, apples, or sherry.
The name Pancakes became standard in the 19th century because of its cake-bread like the look. The treat is so good that it actually has a day dedicated to it, the Pancake day. This is celebrated on the Tuesday before lent and the next one is going to be on Tuesday 16th February 2021.
Leaving its history, let find out the easy pancake recipe and how this special treat is prepared. It’s the same way as the Romans did just with a little improvement here and there. Most people, even I see pancakes as snacks, but if you adjust the ingredients a little and make in large quantities, you might see a dish.
- Plain flour or All-Purpose Flour. You could also use Wheat Flour if you prefer Roman’s Style.
- Eggs. Three should do at most for a 200g flour.
- Evaporated Milk.
- Butter or Margarine.
- Salt (little).
- Vegetable Oil.
- Spices (Chilli Pepper, Cinnamon, Apple Pie Spice, Vanilla, and so on). This is optional, especially if you are in a rush.
The quantities of the ingredients depend on the number of pancakes you are planning on making.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a bowl by heating it up a little.
- Break the eggs into the melted margarine.
- Add little water, little that it has little or no effect on the mixture.
- Add the flour and simultaneously Mix. Mix well so there are no balls.
- Personally, I don’t use baking powder for my pancakes, so I won’t advise it. But if you do feel the need to, now is the time.
- Pour in your Milk. Personally I prefer when the milk is quite much, that way the Pancake will be softer and richer.
- Add the sugar, salt, spices or flavor, and little water and keep stirring.
- If possible blend the mix using a Blender. This will make the mixture smoother.
- Now it’s time to fry. Dry the frying pan by putting it on the cooker 30 seconds prior to when you pour in the vegetable oil.
- Pour in the vegetable oil, just enough to be visible.
- Do not let the oil get hot before pouring in the mixture. Pour it in a way that it shapes round, so it will be easy to fry.
- Tilt the pan and fry each side of the mixture till it becomes loose and forms. Do not let the oil get too hot by shaking and moving the pan continuously.
- Once it starts forming, check the underside regularly to see how brown it is and flip once you are satisfied with it. Flip to fry the other side and don’t lose concentration.
- The Pancake should be done once you see a light brown color on the undersize part. Flip it to fry the top side, so the underside comes up.
Note: Sometimes it might not get done and the color might look light brown or burnt (dark brown or black). This is because the heat is too much, reduce the heat very much, allow the vegetable oil cool and try again.
Once you’re done, you can now serve your pancakes. This is another of my personal tip. Pancakes do go well with honey toppings or the traditional syrup toppings accompanied by a glass of cold milk or oatmeal. Bon Apetit.