Outlook Express before now was known as Microsoft Internet Mail and News. Although discontinued, this email and news client is included with Internet Explorer versions 3.0 through to 6.0. The last version; Outlook Express 6 shipped with Windows XP a beta version of Outlook Express 7 was originally intended for Windows 7 but was replaced by Windows Mail.
How to Download Outlook Express
Outlook Express has been discontinued and this implies it can no longer be download from Microsoft and it’s no longer supported with regular bug and security patches.
However, you can still download it from some sites, but you must understand that it only works with Windows XP and because it has not been updated in a very long time, it may likely suffer from many security issues.
How To Set Outlook Express as Your Default Email Client
For those who have an old copy or are able to download it, they can still set it as the default Windows email program even though the service has been discontinued.
You can do this depending on the version of Windows you are running.
Windows 10 & 8
- Tap the “Start” menu
- Choose “Settings” and click “Default” into the search box.
- Choose “Default app settings”
- Tap on “Email” and choose Outlook Express from the available email list apps.
Windows 7 & VISTA
- Tap “Start”
- Type “default programs” in the search box
- Tap “Default Programs”
- Tap on “Set your default programs “and highlight Outlook Express
- Tap on “Set this program as default”
- Tap on “OK”
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Tap on Tools/Internet Options from the menu
- Scroll to the Programs button
- Ensure that Outlook Express is chosen under Email
- Tap “OK”.
How to Install Outlook Express
- Tap open Microsoft Outlook Express
- Choose “Accounts” from the Tools menu, which is the 4th drop-down menu from the top left.
- Tap on “Mail” button
- Tap the “Add” button. Thereafter choose “Mail” from the menu that pops up.
- For the display name, you would like to use, key in the name you want to link with this email account. This will normally be your first name. Thereafter, tap on “Next”.
- For E-mail address, key in the full email address for this account
- Choose the server type you will be using. Key in both the incoming and outgoing mail servers.
- For account name, provide your full email address. For password, key in the password you’ve set up for your email account. Choose “Remember Password”, by placing a check in that box. (Optional). Thereafter tap on “Next”.
- Tap on the “Finish” option.
Your setup is complete and you can now send and receive emails.