Meat pie is an interesting and easy chop to make. It is very soft and does not produce so many crumbs. Majority of them come in half moon shape but you could make your fun by changing the shape into a heart, star, circle, square or any other of your choice. They can be eaten during occasions and as well a whining of the mouth at work during lunch or at home.
Meat Pie Recipe for the filling
The fillings of a Meat pie is what makes it a meat pie. It amazes me how I order a meat pie from some eateries and find a wrong filling mostly without meat. So I’ll tell you the proper fillings now
- Irish Potato- 4 medium
- Medium Carrot- 4 medium
- 400g minced meat
- Onion- 1 medium
- Vegetable oil- 1 large cooking spoon
- Maggi cubes- 2 cubes
- Salt to taste
- Normal temperature of water
- Plain flour- 3table spoon
Recipe for the dough
- 1kg plain flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 500g Margarine
- Salt to taste
- A glass of normal temperature water
- 1 large egg
- Without this tools, you can’t arrive at a proper Meat pie. So the tools are:
- An oven with a heating capacity
- Chopping board
- Kitchen knife
- Clean bowls
- Egg brush and a fork
- Meat pie cutter or a pot small pot cover
- Pot for the sauce
- Weigh balance
- As well as your apron
Meat Pie Recipe
Let’s run down this procedures as quickly as possible together.
- Peel the Irish potato, carrot, onion, and dice into tiny cubes
- In an empty pot on the fire, heat the vegetable oil and add the diced onion first to fry and stir, add the moved meat and stir until all becomes fried a palatable to eat.
- You can easily get your minced meat improvised by buying the beef of a meat and grinding using the whisk grinder, if you have no much money for the corned beef.
- Add your cubes and other seasonings of choice. The reason I prefer only the cubes and salt is to prevent it from spoiling quick and also you might not know the taste of the consumers in case you use an uncommon spice causing running stomach which is already a bad market.
- At this stage, you can add the diced carrot, and potato with the plain flour and allow to steam until very soft.
- You can bring it down and allow to cool.
- Sieve your plain flour into a clean bowl with 3 teaspoons of baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Scoop your margarine into the bowl of sieved flour and baking powder and rub with fingertips until it becomes like breadcrumbs.
- Add normal temperature water in bits at the same time, folding till a stiff ball of dough is formed. Gather the crumbs together with the hands to form a ball.
- Knead the dough with the hands properly to make it come together and look fine. Leave it for 5minutes in a bowl to make it elastic and allow to rise.
- Roll out the dough on a floured board or table using a rolling pin. The reason for rolling on a floured board or table is to avoid it sticking to the surface. So as you turn the dough back and front as you roll, flour the table to mix rolling easy. Put on a Meat pie cutter or place a small pot cover over the dough to derive the circular shape. The dough being rolled out should not be too thick to allow heat pass through and make it crispy and easy to eat and should not be too thin so as not to break while baking
- Put your fillings of sizable quantity in the middle of the cutout dough and rub whisked egg using the brush round the edges of the pie to create a grip to avoid pouring away the fillings. Close the pie by bringing one edge to the other and seal with the press of the back of a fork for proper closure. You can as well puncture the top of the pie using the fork and rub the egg on the top of it using the brush to allow heat pass through and to give a fine look respectively.
- Prepare the oven by preheating it at 120oc(depending on the manufacturer’s instruction), so that all parts of the Meat pie can be properly baked.
- Coat the baking tray with butter first, and a little flour, rubbing with fingers to avoid it burning which alters the look and taste of the meat pie
- Properly arrange the meat pie in the pan carefully and place in the oven in a way that adequate heat can be released to all sides.
- Leave for 20-30 minutes before opening the oven. This is the shortest possible time for it to get baked. Turn it back and front to enable all sides baked at the same time.
- Remove the pan from the oven after complete baking and coat the pan with butter and the flour again for another set of meat pie for baking after removing the baked Meat pie. Enjoy hot with any fruit punch from this site.